DFS displayed in AD
Bond
2010-01-20 23:14:18 UTC
Another thing I noticed while playing with DFS today is that if I create a
namespace on two file servers (non DC's) called Public I can connect to them
from with Windows Explorer using \\domain.local\Public but if I just type
\\domain.local the "Public" namespace is not displayed. Now, if I add a DC
to this DFS namespace, I can now see "Public" when I navigate to
\\domain.local

Why does it function this way?
DaveMills
2010-01-21 13:33:21 UTC
Post by Bond
Another thing I noticed while playing with DFS today is that if I create a
namespace on two file servers (non DC's) called Public I can connect to them
from with Windows Explorer using \\domain.local\Public but if I just type
\\domain.local the "Public" namespace is not displayed. Now, if I add a DC
to this DFS namespace, I can now see "Public" when I navigate to
\\domain.local
Why does it function this way?
Because the DFS authors have not published the root name to the browser service
in the same way that Sysvol is. An oversight in my opinion but then say "by
design". It would be such a useful addition.
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.