Referral problem popped up for Win7 clients
Tony R
2009-08-25 21:01:04 UTC
We use dfsn and dfsr quite extensively in our environment. We transfers gigs
of data through numerous dfs shares to a dozen sites around the world...we
are very pleased with the technology.

However, in our test environment of Windows 7 clients we have found the same
referral problem on 2 specific shares. This problem does NOT manifest itself
on any of our XP or XP x64 machines.

We have 9 enabled folder targets on the first share and 4 on the second.
Each target exists in a separate subnet and separate site in AD. The
referral order displayed in "dfsutil /pktinfo" is correct on both shares (the
target for the current site is always first). However, the "Active" target
is always the second target on the list. Furthermore, the "AccessStatus" of
the first target usually has a value of "0xc000003a" (i haven't been able to
find any information on this value).

We have tested this in one other site and have found that the first target
in the list also fails on these two shares.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any suggestions on how to begin
diagnosing the problem?
Tony R
2009-08-26 16:14:04 UTC
Forgot to mention this in the original post....

If I disable all but the first folder target the referral to the remaining
target works as expected.
diagnosing the problem?
unknown
2009-12-01 17:33:10 UTC
I have a call open with Microsoft. We have escalated it several times. Hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

Tony R wrote:

Forgot to mention this in the original post....
26-Aug-09

Forgot to mention this in the original post....

If I disable all but the first folder target the referral to the remaining
target works as expected.

"Tony R" wrote:

On Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:01 PM
Tony R wrote:

Referral problem popped up for Win7 clients
We use dfsn and dfsr quite extensively in our environment. We transfers gigs
of data through numerous dfs shares to a dozen sites around the world...we
are very pleased with the technology.

However, in our test environment of Windows 7 clients we have found the same
referral problem on 2 specific shares. This problem does NOT manifest itself
on any of our XP or XP x64 machines.

We have 9 enabled folder targets on the first share and 4 on the second.
Each target exists in a separate subnet and separate site in AD. The
referral order displayed in "dfsutil /pktinfo" is correct on both shares (the
target for the current site is always first). However, the "Active" target
is always the second target on the list. Furthermore, the "AccessStatus" of
the first target usually has a value of "0xc000003a" (i have not been able to
find any information on this value).

We have tested this in one other site and have found that the first target
in the list also fails on these two shares.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any suggestions on how to begin
diagnosing the problem?

On Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:14 PM
Tony R wrote:

Forgot to mention this in the original post....
Forgot to mention this in the original post....

If I disable all but the first folder target the referral to the remaining
target works as expected.

"Tony R" wrote:

ASP.NET Synchronize Cache across a Web Farm
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/f0a89306-fb87-439d-ae25-959ad51a6132/aspnet-synchronize-cache.aspx
unknown
2010-04-01 17:40:20 UTC
I've discovered this same problem recently in a mixed-OS environment. Both Server 2003 and 2008 servers are in our DFS config, but all of our Windows 7 machines seem to want to hunt down the wrong server (i.e. seemingly ignore site costing, site data, and go to the second referral on the list, which is the wrong one.)

Any word from MS?

Matt Hartel wrote:

We too are having the same issue.
01-Dec-09

Tony R wrote:

Forgot to mention this in the original post....
Forgot to mention this in the original post....

If I disable all but the first folder target the referral to the remaining
target works as expected.

"Tony R" wrote:

On Tuesday, December 01, 2009 12:33 PM
Matt Hartel wrote:

We too are having the same issue.
I have a call open with Microsoft. We have escalated it several times. Hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

WPF Report Engine, Part 1
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/31ed1875-728d-4037-9074-4eba5c821311/wpf-report-engine-part-1.aspx