Explorer slows down almost to a hang
markinessex
2009-03-18 15:37:46 UTC
Hi - We have a problem when a user accesses the network DFS share. The user
can access the top level folders, but as soon as they start to navigate to
the next level, explorer starts to hang/slow down.

Our DFS structure currently has 640 folders. User is using XP with all the
current service packs.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Mark
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-03-18 16:32:18 UTC
Hello markinessex,

I will suggest you very the permissions for users on the folders. Make sure
they have atleast list contents.
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Mark
markinessex
2009-03-19 09:02:01 UTC
Hi Isaac,

The user has "Modify" permission on the folders that she wishes to get to.
The can get into the folders, but it can take up to 20 minutes to display the
contents of the folder.

If she knows what folder she needs to look at, she can create a desktop
shortcut to the folder, and that works fine. Obviously this is not a very
good solution for the user, who could end up with hundreds of shortcuts on
her desktop.

The DFS resides on a Windows 2003 Server platform.

Also, this does effect more than one user.

many thanks
Mark
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-03-19 11:34:20 UTC
Hello Markinessex,

How are users accessing the shared folders, through a local of remote
server? Do you have domain based dfs namespace with ft where users can
access file locally?
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Mark
Markinessex
2009-03-19 14:25:17 UTC
Isaac,

The user is mapping a local drive i.e. z: to the dfs. For example, her Z:
drive would be mapped to \\worklink\yourdata.

The dfs namespace is doman based. The actual servers are located on the
same network at the same location as the user.
Mark
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]
2009-03-20 02:56:55 UTC
Hello Markinessex,
The only thing I think of is that os slow connection between users and dfs
server.
--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]
Isaac,
Mark
unknown
2010-04-05 16:16:50 UTC
User terminal services sessions would hang if they accessed a dfs share more than once. I found a fix online at techsupportforum and it worked like a charm.

Group policy, User Config. Admin. Windows Explorer, Turn on Classic Shell

Have the user log off and back on - voila!

TS: 2003 Enterprise, SP2 (x2 - load balancing)
FS: 2003 Standard, SP2 (x2 - dfs home folder and profile)

markinesse wrote:

Explorer slows down almost to a hang
18-Mar-09

Hi - We have a problem when a user accesses the network DFS share. The user
can access the top level folders, but as soon as they start to navigate to
the next level, explorer starts to hang/slow down

Our DFS structure currently has 640 folders. User is using XP with all the
current service packs

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received
Mark

On Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:37 AM
markinesse wrote:

Explorer slows down almost to a hang
Hi - We have a problem when a user accesses the network DFS share. The user
can access the top level folders, but as soon as they start to navigate to
the next level, explorer starts to hang/slow down

Our DFS structure currently has 640 folders. User is using XP with all the
current service packs

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received
Mark

On Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:32 PM
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE] wrote:

Hello markinessex,I will suggest you very the permissions for users on the
Hello markinessex

I will suggest you very the permissions for users on the folders. Make sur
they have atleast list contents

-
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]

On Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:02 AM
Markinesse wrote:

Hi Isaac,The user has "Modify" permission on the folders that she wishes to
Hi Isaac

The user has "Modify" permission on the folders that she wishes to get to.
The can get into the folders, but it can take up to 20 minutes to display the
contents of the folder

If she knows what folder she needs to look at, she can create a desktop
shortcut to the folder, and that works fine. Obviously this is not a very
good solution for the user, who could end up with hundreds of shortcuts on
her desktop

The DFS resides on a Windows 2003 Server platform

Also, this does effect more than one user

many thank

"Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]" wrote:

On Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:34 AM
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE] wrote:

Hello Markinessex,How are users accessing the shared folders, through a local
Hello Markinessex

How are users accessing the shared folders, through a local of remote
server? Do you have domain based dfs namespace with ft where users can
access file locally

--
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE
"markinessex" <***@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBD504A9-3905-498E-A114-***@microsoft.com...

On Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:25 AM
markinesse wrote:

Re: Explorer slows down almost to a hang
Isaac

The user is mapping a local drive i.e. z: to the dfs. For example, her Z:
drive would be mapped to \\worklink\yourdata

The dfs namespace is doman based. The actual servers are located on the
same network at the same location as the user

"Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE]" wrote:

On Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:56 PM
Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE] wrote:

Hello Markinessex,The only thing I think of is that os slow connection between
Hello Markinessex
The only thing I think of is that os slow connection between users and df
server

-
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]

WPF Circular Progress Indicator
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/4d89b4cb-ba59-4362-ab0a-cc047643fd42/wpf-circular-progress-ind.aspx
unknown
2010-04-05 16:20:13 UTC
DFS shares caused terminal server sessions to hang if they were accessed more than once. I found a workaround at techsupportforum

Group policy, User Config. Admin. Windows Explorer, Turn on Classic Shell

I spent so much time trying to figure this one out and this simple change fixed it.

Isaac Oben [MCITP,MCSE] wrote:

Hello Markinessex,The only thing I think of is that os slow connection between
Hello Markinessex
The only thing I think of is that os slow connection between users and df
server

-
Isaac Oben [MCTIP:EA, MCSE]

On Monday, April 05, 2010 12:16 PM
angela belcastro wrote:

dfs shares hang in terminal services session this worked for me
User terminal services sessions would hang if they accessed a dfs share more than once. I found a fix online at techsupportforum and it worked like a charm.

Group policy, User Config. Admin. Windows Explorer, Turn on Classic Shell

Have the user log off and back on - voila!

TS: 2003 Enterprise, SP2 (x2 - load balancing)
FS: 2003 Standard, SP2 (x2 - dfs home folder and profile)

WPF Report Engine, Part 1
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/31ed1875-728d-4037-9074-4eba5c821311/wpf-report-engine-part-1.aspx