Removing DFS File Replication Server
Paul Beynon
2009-11-12 10:25:01 UTC
Hi There,

We have recently had an issue with a File server where the server ran out of
space, when a bit of space was cleared, replication went the wrong way!! this
caused some serious issues and I have been requested to decommision the
current server it is being replicated to, and set it up from scratch - so I
need help with this, can someone please guide me through the process of
removing the replication group from the servers, taking the server offline
safely, once it is safely offline I shall be setting it up with W2k3R2 and
reinstalling - am I best to give it a fresh name and IP? and guidance on the
correct way to set replication up with the exclusion of several folders!!!
Many Thanks
Danny Sanders
2009-11-12 16:11:48 UTC
Are you using Win 2k3 R2 now? You would just delete the replication group
from the mmc.
Post by Paul Beynon
safely, once it is safely offline I shall be setting it up with W2k3R2 and
This sounds like your not using R2 now, you know each member needs to be R2
if one member is R2.

hth
DDS
Many Thanks
DaveMills
2009-11-13 19:04:33 UTC
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:25:01 -0800, Paul Beynon
Post by Paul Beynon
Hi There,
We have recently had an issue with a File server where the server ran out of
space, when a bit of space was cleared, replication went the wrong way!! this
caused some serious issues and I have been requested to decommision the
current server it is being replicated to, and set it up from scratch - so I
need help with this, can someone please guide me through the process of
removing the replication group from the servers, taking the server offline
safely, once it is safely offline I shall be setting it up with W2k3R2 and
reinstalling - am I best to give it a fresh name and IP? and guidance on the
correct way to set replication up with the exclusion of several folders!!!
Many Thanks
When you remove a replication group wait for the message in the event log to say
it has been removed. If you jump the gun and delete the copy folder then it is
quite likely that reapplication is still working and the other copy will be
deleted also, i.e. You delete the Rep group then delete the unwanted copy.
Before you know it the deletion is replicated to the master copy and poof - no
data.

I usually start with a good backup.
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.