DFS Migration to another environment
Berlin142
2010-03-25 13:58:05 UTC
I just have an interesting problem: In a branch office scenario with a
centralized data center (DC) we have a DFS running, where all file data will
be replicated to the DC for backup purposes. Now we need to exclude some
bbranch offices (soled) to a new company and also to a new network. They will
still work in the same manner like before.
We create the new file system and the DFS. But how I can migrate the data now?
Option1 : Perform a migration in the DC and replicate the data back. Because
we have up to 3.5 TB in the branches and only bandwidth for replication by ~2
MBit (QOS), this solution is not really feasible.
Option 2: Migrate the data locally, so that the user can still work with the
data and replicate the data back to the DC. This seems to be a little bit
better for the business continuity, ut we still have the replication issue to
transfer TB of data over the WAN (location are spread up to 2.500 km outside
from the DC).

The best option should be to add the data in the root (DC) and branches in
prallel and re-sync both sides. But this seems not to work, every side claims
the data complete and so it will replicate twice the whole content - even
worst. Is there any option (like pre-staging e.g.) what can be used for a
scenario like this? If not, I need to look for a complete other way (may be
travelling with a server sround, but we have ~60 branches in focus :-( ).

J.
Danny Sanders
2010-03-25 15:43:38 UTC
Post by Berlin142
I just have an interesting problem: In a branch office scenario with a
centralized data center (DC) we have a DFS running, where all file data will
be replicated to the DC for backup purposes. Now we need to exclude some
bbranch offices (soled) to a new company and also to a new network. They will
still work in the same manner like before.
Does this mean that those "excluded" servers sold to a new company are going
to be in a new donain or on a different subnet?
Post by Berlin142
The best option should be to add the data in the root (DC) and branches in
prallel and re-sync both sides. But this seems not to work, every side claims
the data complete and so it will replicate twice the whole content - even
worst. Is there any option (like pre-staging e.g.) what can be used for a
scenario like this? If not, I need to look for a complete other way (may be
travelling with a server sround, but we have ~60 branches in focus :-( ).
To prestage the data you can either restore from backups or use a robocopy
script to prestage the data on the hub server. Setup the replication group
so the branch office is the primary and only the difference will be
replicated to the hub server.

hth
DDS