DFS Windows 2008 R2 - Opening File in the same time
Luiz
2009-12-01 17:21:01 UTC

I have one question about DFS in WIndows 2008 R2 so If anyone can help I
appreciate:
- what happen if the 2 users open the same document that resides in a File
Server with DFS enable? The users will receive an alert about the opened
document?
If the user A save the document before user B what is the valid version?

Thanks for while.

Best Regards.

Luiz
DaveMills
2009-12-02 10:28:54 UTC
Post by Luiz
Hi,
I have one question about DFS in WIndows 2008 R2 so If anyone can help I
- what happen if the 2 users open the same document that resides in a File
Server with DFS enable? The users will receive an alert about the opened
document?
If the user A save the document before user B what is the valid version?
If there is only a single replica then the same as if you opened it via a normal
UNC name.

If there are replicas the if the users are opening the same copy then the same
conflict happens on the open. If they open different copies then no warning is
given and last write wins. The other changed copy is moved to "conflict and
deleted" and you must manually correct the clash.
Post by Luiz
Thanks for while.
Best Regards.
Luiz
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Luiz
2009-12-03 13:48:01 UTC
Hi Dave,

thank you for the response.

So, If the member of replication group that is receiving the copies has its
connection lost with the partner and the user is editing file when the
connection was normalized the last modification is the valid?
Can I change the path of Conflict and Deleted folder when I already created
that folder?

Thanks Dave.

Best Regards.

Luiz
Post by DaveMills
Post by Luiz
Hi,
I have one question about DFS in WIndows 2008 R2 so If anyone can help I
- what happen if the 2 users open the same document that resides in a File
Server with DFS enable? The users will receive an alert about the opened
document?
If the user A save the document before user B what is the valid version?
If there is only a single replica then the same as if you opened it via a normal
UNC name.
If there are replicas the if the users are opening the same copy then the same
conflict happens on the open. If they open different copies then no warning is
given and last write wins. The other changed copy is moved to "conflict and
deleted" and you must manually correct the clash.
Post by Luiz
Thanks for while.
Best Regards.
Luiz
.
DaveMills
2009-12-03 22:30:14 UTC
Post by Luiz
Hi Dave,
thank you for the response.
Sorry you have lost me a bit.
Post by Luiz
So, If the member of replication group that is receiving the copies has its
connection lost with the partner and the user is editing file when the
connection was normalized the last modification is the valid?
There are two independent processes here
1) DFSR which looks at the replication copies and if a file changes on any copy
it will replicate the changes to the other copied as fast as it is allowed.
2) Users editing file (which trigger the changes for 1)

So for example you have two servers in a replication groups. One is in Moscow
and the other in New York. Replication is allowed say for just 1 hour in the
middle of the night. Bodeski, in Moscow changes the file and about the same time
so does Smith in New York. Bodeski is editing the file on the Moscow server and
Smith on the New York server. Neither is aware that the other even exists. When
replication kicks in DFSR will see the file has change in BOTH locations. It
will then choose the newest copy of the two and replicate it to both servers.
The other copy is moved to Conflict and Deleted for you (as admin) to sort out.

This is far from perfect but that is how it is and you just have to plan around
it. This is great for a) read only folders with one person updating the master
and many readers or b) home folders that only have one editor. For multi user
many editor folders you will have issues.
Post by Luiz
Can I change the path of Conflict and Deleted folder when I already created
that folder?
Conflict and deleted is a folder created by DFSR, I have never looked at moving
or creating it myself.
Post by Luiz
Thanks Dave.
Best Regards.
Luiz
Post by DaveMills
Post by Luiz
Hi,
I have one question about DFS in WIndows 2008 R2 so If anyone can help I
- what happen if the 2 users open the same document that resides in a File
Server with DFS enable? The users will receive an alert about the opened
document?
If the user A save the document before user B what is the valid version?
If there is only a single replica then the same as if you opened it via a normal
UNC name.
If there are replicas the if the users are opening the same copy then the same
conflict happens on the open. If they open different copies then no warning is
given and last write wins. The other changed copy is moved to "conflict and
deleted" and you must manually correct the clash.
Post by Luiz
Thanks for while.
Best Regards.
Luiz
Luiz
2009-12-07 21:30:02 UTC
Hi Dave,

sorry by delay.
Thank you for the response, it was very usefull.

Best Regards.

Luiz
Post by DaveMills
Post by Luiz
Hi Dave,
thank you for the response.
Sorry you have lost me a bit.
Post by Luiz
Can I change the path of Conflict and Deleted folder when I already created
that folder?
Conflict and deleted is a folder created by DFSR, I have never looked at moving
or creating it myself.
Post by Luiz
Thanks Dave.
Best Regards.
Luiz
Post by DaveMills
Post by Luiz
Hi,
I have one question about DFS in WIndows 2008 R2 so If anyone can help I
- what happen if the 2 users open the same document that resides in a File
Server with DFS enable? The users will receive an alert about the opened
document?
If the user A save the document before user B what is the valid version?
If there is only a single replica then the same as if you opened it via a normal
UNC name.
If there are replicas the if the users are opening the same copy then the same
conflict happens on the open. If they open different copies then no warning is
given and last write wins. The other changed copy is moved to "conflict and
deleted" and you must manually correct the clash.
Post by Luiz
Thanks for while.
Best Regards.
Luiz
.
IT STAFF
2009-12-14 14:39:15 UTC
Especially in a multi-user environment where one make changes to one server,
and the other make changes on another site, both users are NOT aware of who
is doing what.

If u wish to control this, u have to get a 3rd party product that works very
well with DFRS. I think it is called peer network or something like that.

It will lock the same file in *different* servers and notify the other users
that "someone at moscow or new york" is changing the file.
Post by Luiz
Hi Dave,
sorry by delay.
Thank you for the response, it was very usefull.
Best Regards.
Luiz
Post by DaveMills
Post by Luiz
Hi Dave,
thank you for the response.
Sorry you have lost me a bit.
Post by Luiz
Can I change the path of Conflict and Deleted folder when I already created
that folder?
Conflict and deleted is a folder created by DFSR, I have never looked at moving
or creating it myself.
Post by Luiz
Thanks Dave.
Best Regards.
Luiz
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 09:21:01 -0800, Luiz
Post by Luiz
Hi,
I have one question about DFS in WIndows 2008 R2 so If anyone can help I
- what happen if the 2 users open the same document that resides in a File
Server with DFS enable? The users will receive an alert about the opened
document?
If the user A save the document before user B what is the valid version?
If there is only a single replica then the same as if you opened it via a normal
UNC name.
If there are replicas the if the users are opening the same copy then the same
conflict happens on the open. If they open different copies then no warning is
given and last write wins. The other changed copy is moved to "conflict and
deleted" and you must manually correct the clash.
Post by Luiz
Thanks for while.
Best Regards.
Luiz