This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder
HAL07
2009-01-28 08:22:11 UTC
Hi there,

I set up some DFS shares for some folders containing large amounts of data between some Windows 2003 R2 and they all replicate to
a Windows 2008 Server.
I used the wizard to set up replication for Data Collection, as I intend to back up the data on the Windows 2008 server.

I have the following problem:
All DFS'es started, but then stopped!

When running a Replication Health Report I see the following:
Warnings:

On branch servers:
Premature purging of staging files is impacting performance on replicated folder
- Staging files are being purged prematurely because the staging quota for replicated folder Oppdrag is too small. This purging
can cause excessive disk I/O and CPU usage. To avoid this problem, increase the quota of the staging folder. This has occurred 80
times in the past 72 hours. Event ID: 4202

On the central Windows 2008 Server:
This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder
- This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder <folder> and is not currently participating in
replication. This delay can occur because the member is waiting for the DFS Replication service to retrieve replication settings
from Active Directory. After the member detects that it is part of replication group, the member will begin initial replication.

Premature purging of staging files is impacting performance on replicated folder
- Staging files are being purged prematurely because the staging quota for replicated folder <folder> is too small. This
purging can cause excessive disk I/O and CPU usage. To avoid this problem, increase the quota of the staging folder. This has
occurred 58 times in the past 72 hours. Event ID: 4202

Well what do I do? I've tried increasing the Staging quota to 16GB but there seem to be no help.
-- HAL07, Engineering Services, Norway
Danny Sanders
2009-01-28 15:19:43 UTC
I would robocopy the data and security to the hub server first (or restore
from a backup) then set off the replication with the 16 GB staging folder.
Give it a few days.

Run this script from a command prompt a couple of times a day from any
member to check on the backlog to see if it's going down:

dfsrdiag backlog /receivingmember:(name of hub server) /sendingmember:(name
of sending server) /rgname:(name of replication group) /rfname:(name of the
replicated folder you want backlog info on) >c:\Log.txt

Check the log it will create on the C drive.

Leave out the parenthesis.

hth
DDS
Post by HAL07
Hi there,
I set up some DFS shares for some folders containing large amounts of data
between some Windows 2003 R2 and they all replicate to a Windows 2008
Server.
I used the wizard to set up replication for Data Collection, as I intend
to back up the data on the Windows 2008 server.
All DFS'es started, but then stopped!
Premature purging of staging files is impacting performance on replicated folder
- Staging files are being purged prematurely because the staging quota for
replicated folder Oppdrag is too small. This purging can cause excessive
disk I/O and CPU usage. To avoid this problem, increase the quota of the
4202
This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder
- This member is waiting for initial replication for replicated folder
<folder> and is not currently participating in replication. This delay can
occur because the member is waiting for the DFS Replication service to
retrieve replication settings from Active Directory. After the member
detects that it is part of replication group, the member will begin
initial replication.
Premature purging of staging files is impacting performance on replicated folder
- Staging files are being purged prematurely because the staging quota
for replicated folder <folder> is too small. This purging can cause
excessive disk I/O and CPU usage. To avoid this problem, increase the
quota of the staging folder. This has occurred 58 times in the past 72
HAL07
2009-02-05 13:23:16 UTC
Post by Danny Sanders
[...]
quota for replicated folder <folder> is too small. This purging can
cause excessive disk I/O and CPU usage. To avoid this problem,
increase the quota of the staging folder. This has occurred 58 times
in the past 72 hours. Event ID: 4202
Well what do I do? I've tried increasing the Staging quota to 16GB but
there seem to be no help.
--
-- HAL07, Engineering Services, Norway
i've tried these steps. but no luck. the server still awaits initial replication
-- HAL07, Engineering Services, Norway
Khay
2009-03-31 14:49:03 UTC
I am having a simaler problem, but in addition to Replication never
completeing I recieve an EventID 2104 in the DFS Replication Event Log
stating that:

"The DFS Replication service failed to recover from an internal database
error on volume D:. Replication has been stopped for all replicated folders
on this volume. "

Because the DFSR was in the initial Replication when the database fails the
replication never completes.

I have only been able to get files replicated by breaking the replication
group and recreating it. This may work for you... unfortunitly for me I can
never get a full replication without the Database failure.

Robocopy and Backup/Restore does not work either, because DFSR has to
evealuate every file regardless. The process takes too long and a Database
Failure happens.

If the Initial Replication finishes the databse will be rebuilt and DFSR
will be able to Sync back up easily.

If someone knows how to assist me on my issue please let me know. As for
HAL07 I hope this info helps.
Isaac Oben [MCITP:EA, MCSE]
2009-04-01 00:14:55 UTC
Hello Khay,

You may probable want to do some debugging.. This article might help
http://blogs.technet.com/askds/archive/2009/03/23/understanding-dfsr-debug-logging-part-1-logging-levels-log-format-guid-s.aspx

Isaac
Oscar Gurley
2011-02-01 19:01:17 UTC
How much data are you trying to replicate and how much disk space available do you have on the source?
Post by Isaac Oben [MCITP:EA, MCSE]
Hello Khay,
You may probable want to do some debugging.. This article might help
http://blogs.technet.com/askds/archive/2009/03/23/understanding-dfsr-debug-logging-part-1-logging-levels-log-format-guid-s.aspx
Isaac
Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Twitter Search API with jQuery and JSONP
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/94d7bda5-c477-4ff9-b71d-e24e5fc70c24/twitter-search-api-with-jquery-and-jsonp.aspx