DFSR Repliaktion Problem
André Heublein
2007-06-05 11:43:38 UTC
Hi @ all,

we have 3 Windows 2003 Sp2 R2 servers, 2 of that are the namespace-server.
All 3 Servers are only member server, not DC.

There are 6 folder targets, and the target referral per target are only
active on 1 of the three servers.

Problem: There are many files & folders, that are moved to the
conflict&delete folder in DfsPrivate-Folder.

In the event log the ID 4412 are logged:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: DFSR
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4412
Date: 05.06.2007
Time: 12:28:55
User: N/A
Computer: server02
The DFS Replication service detected that a file was changed on multiple
servers. A conflict resolution algorithm was used to determine the winning
file. The losing file was moved to the Conflict and Deleted folder.

Additional Information:
Original File Path: D:\data\xxxxxx\xxxxxxx
New Name in Conflict Folder:
xxxx-{657A4CE1-6830-4821-92B0-189BF7561348}-v89002
Replicated Folder Root: D:\DATA
File ID: {657A4CE1-6830-4821-92B0-189BF7561348}-v88878
Replicated Folder Name: DATA
Replicated Folder ID: EBB6D131-6831-4AFC-BBE4-7241AFAA4F77
Replication Group Name: domain.intranet\dfs\data
Replication Group ID: 5AE4DD7D-A7EE-4947-82D1-1BB4E40C70A1
Member ID: E86CF603-FEC1-42CF-94BD-C80172EA540B

This event are logged on all 3 servers, on the server, who was the referral
server, most often as the other servers.

Past 1 week we installed Service Pack 2 on this servers and a few days ago
the error went away.
Since 1-2 days the failure is coming back.

On the servers we have not running a virus scanning application and i donŽt
know, which service/program are open/change the files, so the dfsr service
thinks, the files are changed on both or 3 servers.
This are only file-server.

The clients are windows XP Sp2, on the same network, but in different
subnetŽs, routet via RoutingSwitch.

Can anyone reconstruct this problem? Or has anyone the same problem and
knows, how to "repair" it?

Thanks for your help

André
Craig Landis [MSFT]
2007-06-07 22:15:51 UTC
File conflicts (event ID 4412) are not an error condition. The event is an
informational event telling you a file was updated on more than one member
before the changes had time to replicate. Since you have three servers
replicating with DFSR, and all three servers are accessible to users as DFS
targets, it is possible that users themselves are causing this. If one user
changes a file on server A at the same time another user changes it on
server B, DFSR resolves the conflict for you and moves the conflict loser to
ConflictAndDeleted.

In the DFSR debug logs, the USN Consumer (USNC) entries have a Reason: field
that shows what type of change was made to the file. To tell who/what made
the change, you need to enable NTFS auditing on the folders you care about
monitoring.

Date: 05.06.2007
Time: 12:28:55
[...]
don´t know, which service/program are open/change the files, so the dfsr
service thinks, the files are changed on both or 3 servers.
This are only file-server.
The clients are windows XP Sp2, on the same network, but in different
subnet´s, routet via RoutingSwitch.
André
André Heublein
2007-06-08 10:56:12 UTC
Hi Craig,
Post by Craig Landis [MSFT]
Post by André Heublein
There are 6 folder targets, and the target referral per target are only
active on 1 of the three servers.
There are only 1 referral per dfs share active, so the user canŽt change the
files on the other servers.
No Virus scannning software on Servers.
Service Pack2 installed

IŽve opend a PSS call now, i will see, what heppendŽs here.

Thanks for your support

André
André
Ned Pyle [MSFT]
2007-06-07 23:05:41 UTC
I've seen that in a few cases:

1. A bug - but you put SP2 on and that loophole is closed with the latest
DFSR.EXE service executable.
2. Poorly written anti-virus software - it was scanning the replicated
folders, adding alternate data streams to files and causing conflicts and
reanimations that led to conflicts.

Buuuuut... you cut both of those out nicely. :)

In order to troubleshoot this we will need access to your DFSR debug logs
from all three servers, file system filter driver info, as well as the
conflictanddeletedmanifest.xml data. I suggest opening a case with us here
in PSS for deeper analysis - conflict cases like this are pretty much
one-off's usually if not the above 2 things. If you have a Premier contract
you can open through normal channels. If not, you can open a per-incident
case with our Professional support here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone
--
Ned Pyle
Microsoft Enterprise Platform Support
André
André Heublein
2007-06-08 10:58:03 UTC
Hi Ned,

iŽve opend now a PSS Call, so the product service will see, whatŽt happend
here.

When i have a solution for it, i will post it here.

Thanks for your help

André
Post by Ned Pyle [MSFT]
[...]
rights. Please read http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm for more
information.
André
unknown
2010-03-09 17:46:39 UTC
Hey andre..

m facing the similar issue here we have two server and replication from Primary to other server is not happing. i am getting multiple below events in event viewer

The DFS Replication service detected that a file was changed on multiple servers. A conflict resolution algorithm was used to determine the winning file. The losing file was moved to the Conflict and Deleted folder.

Additional Information:
Original File Path: E:\Data\DDOC1\Data\Opodo\data\r\rrieaaaa.b
New Name in Conflict Folder: rrieaaaa.b-{3FA94DA0-079A-4A7A-88BC-29BF8AD5ECD7}-v2867669 The problem i am suspecting is that be have cleaned out primary folder some time ago and those contents still exist in other server. i belive that is making this issue..

also the other server has Waiting for initial replication error in DFSR logs

any help?

Andr? Heublein wrote:

Hi Ned,i?ve opend now a PSS Call, so the product service will see, what?t
08-Jun-07

Hi Ned

i?ve opend now a PSS Call, so the product service will see, what?t happen
here

When i have a solution for it, i will post it here

Thanks for your hel

Andr?

On Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:43 AM
Andr? Heublein wrote:

DFSR Repliaktion Problem
Hi @ all

we have 3 Windows 2003 Sp2 R2 servers, 2 of that are the namespace-server
All 3 Servers are only member server, not DC

There are 6 folder targets, and the target referral per target are only
active on 1 of the three servers

Problem: There are many files & folders, that are moved to the
conflict&delete folder in DfsPrivate-Folder

In the event log the ID 4412 are logged

Event Type: Informatio
Event Source: DFS
Event Category: Non
Event ID: 441
Date: 05.06.200
Time: 12:28:5
User: N/
Computer: server0
Description
The DFS Replication service detected that a file was changed on multiple
servers. A conflict resolution algorithm was used to determine the winning
file. The losing file was moved to the Conflict and Deleted folder

Additional Information
Original File Path: D:\data\xxxxxx\xxxxxx
New Name in Conflict Folder:
xxxx-{657A4CE1-6830-4821-92B0-189BF7561348}-v8900
Replicated Folder Root: D:\DAT
File ID: {657A4CE1-6830-4821-92B0-189BF7561348}-v8887
Replicated Folder Name: DAT
Replicated Folder ID: EBB6D131-6831-4AFC-BBE4-7241AFAA4F7
Replication Group Name: domain.intranet\dfs\dat
Replication Group ID: 5AE4DD7D-A7EE-4947-82D1-1BB4E40C70A
Member ID: E86CF603-FEC1-42CF-94BD-C80172EA540

This event are logged on all 3 servers, on the server, who was the referral
server, most often as the other servers

Past 1 week we installed Service Pack 2 on this servers and a few days ago
the error went away
Since 1-2 days the failure is coming back

On the servers we have not running a virus scanning application and i don?t
know, which service/program are open/change the files, so the dfsr service
thinks, the files are changed on both or 3 servers
This are only file-server

The clients are windows XP Sp2, on the same network, but in different
subnet?s, routet via RoutingSwitch

Can anyone reconstruct this problem? Or has anyone the same problem and
knows, how to "repair" it

Thanks for your hel

Andr?

On Thursday, June 07, 2007 6:15 PM
Craig Landis [MSFT] wrote:

[...]

"Andr? Heublein" <***@t-online.de> wrote in message news:***@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

On Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:05 PM
Ned Pyle [MSFT] wrote:

Re: DFSR Repliaktion Problem
[...]

On Friday, June 08, 2007 6:56 AM
Andr? Heublein wrote:

Hi Craig,There are only 1 referral per dfs share active, so the user can?t
Hi Craig,

There are only 1 referral per dfs share active, so the user can?t change the
files on the other servers.
No Virus scannning software on Servers.
Service Pack2 installed

I?ve opend a PSS call now, i will see, what heppend?s here.

Thanks for your support

Andr?

"Craig Landis [MSFT]" <***@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A6AEC781-6BEB-4843-A7A1-***@microsoft.com...

On Friday, June 08, 2007 6:58 AM
Andr? Heublein wrote:

Hi Ned,i?ve opend now a PSS Call, so the product service will see, what?t
Hi Ned,

i?ve opend now a PSS Call, so the product service will see, what?t happend
here.

When i have a solution for it, i will post it here.

Thanks for your help

Andr?

Creating a WPF Custom Control
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/32d63678-2798-465e-ad29-c0b45fb68b78/creating-a-wpf-custom-con.aspx