DFS limitation
Patrick
2009-11-17 06:17:03 UTC
Thanks for your help.

I've a old file server with about 140GB size and 900000 no. of files.
I want to migrate it to a new server and would like to apply DFS to
replicate all files to the new server. And I want to confirm if it is ok or
not, any limitation on it,
if yes, how can I overcome it, pls see below our server configuration:

Old server:
- Windows 2003 server without any service pack

New server:
- Windows 2003 sp2 or install R2 if required

All servers are joined to Windwos 2000 domain, currently using domain DFS.

Thanks

Patrick
Danny Sanders
2009-11-17 14:12:28 UTC
You would want to use DFSR and you would have to upgrade your "old server"
to SP2 then R2. You could set up a robocopy script to copy the data over the
weekend.

Map a drive from the new server to the old and from the new server use
something like robocopy x y /e /sec /w:5 /r:3 /log: c:\robocopy.log

Then view the log created on the C drive to see if anything was missed.

hth
DDS