DFS Replication on SBS Server
MOGrocer
2007-12-03 21:12:02 UTC
Is is possible to install the DFS replication service on a Small Business
Server 2003 R2 (SP2 installed)?

Thank you!
Thorsten Kampe
2007-12-03 22:31:41 UTC
* MOGrocer (Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:12:02 -0800)
Yes
MOGrocer
2007-12-04 00:21:03 UTC
Then you are a better man than I....
I can DFS installed, but when I do the add remove program - windows
components - DFS is not an option - so I can not select the replication
service. Any replication that I set up, says that it need the replication
service installed on that server.

Any thoughts on how to help?

Thanks
Yes
Thorsten Kampe
2007-12-04 08:31:00 UTC
* MOGrocer (Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:21:03 -0800)
Post by MOGrocer
Then you are a better man than I....
I can DFS installed,
Kannit verstan. English please.
Post by MOGrocer
but when I do the add remove program - windows components - DFS is
not an option
Why is it not an option? Because it's not there or because it's greyed
out or because you get an error when you mark it or because...?
Post by MOGrocer
so I can not select the replication service. Any replication that I
set up, says that it need the replication service installed on that
server.
How are you trying to set up a replication group without DFSR? Are you
using the Administration interface for the old FRS service? What are
you doing?

Thorsten
Franklin
2007-12-04 10:33:10 UTC
Hello Thorsten,

you said, that it is possible to install the (new) DFS Replication Service
on a Small Business Server 2003 R2 SP2.

The SBS 2003 R2 Components on CD No. 6 doesn't include the new DFS
Replication Service.

When I try to use the R2 components of a Windows Server 2003 Standard CD2, I
get an error that the installed OS is not compatible to the R2
Setup-Programm (or similar).

How do you install the new DFS Replication Service on a SBS 2003 (I don't
mean the old FRS)? Is there a trick?

Thanks,

FrankLin
Yes
Thorsten Kampe
2007-12-04 10:53:39 UTC
* Franklin (Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:33:10 +0100)
Post by Franklin
you said, that it is possible to install the (new) DFS Replication Service
on a Small Business Server 2003 R2 SP2.
I did not know of any restrictions that would prevent that and two
colleagues I asked agreed that it /should/ be possible. You could have
spared me that effort by sharing the facts you already knew.
Post by Franklin
The SBS 2003 R2 Components on CD No. 6 doesn't include the new DFS
Replication Service.
Well, okay, a one second Google search led me to this:
<http://www.finnconsultants.co.uk/news-articles-fc.aspx/2/Small-
Business-Server-SBS-R2-DFS-R-the-alternative-to-DFSR/>

I suggest you take full advantage of the Internet by actively trying
to find answers to your questions on the Web.

Thorsten
MOGrocer
2007-12-04 18:28:00 UTC
Just a note - Franklin is not MoGrocer.... I gave you all the fact I had -at
work I am behind a restricted firewall so I can not get that link - I will
try it from home.

I have been finding conflicting information and not much MS documentation on
the issue - that is why I posted.
Thorsten
Thorsten Kampe
2007-12-05 09:11:32 UTC
* MOGrocer (Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:28:00 -0800)
Oops, my mistake...
Brandan
2007-12-06 11:22:01 UTC
I think MOGrocer question is absolutely clear. I have exactly the same
problem. There seems to be no documentation on how to into DFS Replication
on a SBS 2003. It's not in the list of Add/Remove windows components.

I will also try googling it but I would have more confidence with
Microsoft's guides.

Thanks
Brandan