DFS Root only 1 user in MSAccess mdb
Carpadum
2009-11-30 21:27:01 UTC
We just moved our logon scripts from the typical
NET USE X: \\SERVERNAME\SHARE
to a dfs root structure
NET USE X: \\DOMAIN.COM\ROOT\STATE\CITY\SHARE
we are NOT using any replication this is purely to make server names go away
for DR purposes and to make it easier for users to find other servers in the
company. We are mapping 2 drives. One to the root and one to the users
local file server in their LAN. For this example we will refer to the local
LAN server as the X: drive.
DOMAIN.COM is part of our "local Intranet Zone" in IE via group policy at
the domain level
Domain is windows server 2003 R2 forest functional
Clients are a mix of window xp and vista and office 2003 and 2007 all fully
patched and service packed.
When a user1 opens a database via windows explorer x:\folder\data.mdb the
ldb file is created (access is a front end to sql for some reports) and the
database opens. User2 tries to open the same file and nothing happens. This
seems to be randomly happening to multiple users just with access files.
Permissions have not changed on the shares. Everyone has full control on the
DFS root (as a test) and the results are the same. Installed IIS on the
file server to test that IE7/8 thinks that the file server is in the local
intranet zone. If we map people back to straight UNC \\servername\share
everything works fine. If we open access and go to file -->open and browse
to DFS mapped x:\folder\data.mdb as many people can open it as needed at the
same time. This only seems to be a problem when using DFS. All other DFS
functions seem to be running ok only msaccess files are having the issue.

Detailed help would be great.
DaveMills
2009-12-02 10:24:58 UTC
First IIS and IE have no bearing on DFS at all this just confuses your
description.

see in line below:

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:27:01 -0800, Carpadum
Post by Carpadum
[...]
Nothing? No error message no data file opening? The only time I have seen Access
not open the data file is when the security dialogue opens and you have to
change the settings to allow the code to run. This often ends with the database
not opening until you restart access. But I would not describe that as "nothing
happens"
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Carpadum
2009-12-02 15:52:01 UTC
Dave thanks for the reply. The reason I explained the IIS function was
because DFS uses a FQDN which can cause problems with security zones when
using MS applications in windows. If the FQDN is not added to the trusted or
local Intranet site issues can arise with opening applications via DFS.

Yes nothing happens when the users try to open the access file. The first
user can open it with no issues and the lock file is created. Second user
tries to open the file and access opens but nothing displays and there is no
"open file access" shown on the server. If we remove the DFS mapping and
revert back to a \\server\share mapping all the users can open the mdb file
with no issue so it is something with DFS.

We are running into some similar issues with an application that uses a
pervasive database. This app (timberline estimating) uses files like excel
that are stored on a file server but shares data in a database. This article
speaks to the issues with DFS and databases.
http://ww1.pervasive.com/kb/kb.asp??fx=getdetails&solid=00015134&title=does%20pervasive.sql%20support%20dfs?

I am hoping we are not having the same issue with Access.
.
Ellie
2009-12-17 19:53:03 UTC
I think I'm having the same problem but not with accessing files, just
running the vb.net program in general. Before we started using DFS, we added
the local intranet as a trusted zone and everything worked fine. Now with
DFS, we can add the Internet as a trusted zone and it works but not if it is
not a trusted zone. I don't think we want the whole internet as a trusted
zone though. How would we go about adding the FQDN to the trusted zones?
Thanks