how to migrate file share to new server
Rich
2008-09-12 20:46:08 UTC
I currently have a Win 2K server with about 300GB of data in a file share,
that i want to migrate to a better server running Win 2K3 at a remote
location. What i think would be best would be if i could set up a constant
replication/syncing of the data from my current server to the old one, so any
changes made on old would be reflected on new. Then one evening after
everyone is done with the old server, i would stop that file share, and point
everyone's shortcuts to the new share. how could i best accomplish this? or
another option would be to have it sync both ways and i can just slowly move
users over one by one to the new server until they are all on it, then stop
the file share on the old server. thanks in advance for the help.
Danny Sanders
2008-09-12 21:28:12 UTC
Look into robocopy. Something like robocopy d:\folder e:\folder /e /sec /w:3
r:3 /log:folder.
You can schedule it as a .bat file. Use the log to determine if any files
are not copied.

hth
DDS
DaveMills
2008-09-12 22:58:05 UTC
Rich
2008-09-15 00:46:01 UTC
Thanks to you both, Robocopy defintiely sounds like the way to go
Post by DaveMills
Post by Danny Sanders
Look into robocopy. Something like robocopy d:\folder e:\folder /e /sec /w:3
r:3 /log:folder.
You can schedule it as a .bat file. Use the log to determine if any files
are not copied.
You can make it respond to changes in the source folder to trigger a new sync
too so the when the source is updated it will re-run the copy adding changed
files.
Another way would by to use DFSR and set up replication between the two shares
but not allow users the use the link to the new share until replication has
completed. Then enable the new link. If you are removing the old server disable
that link. Finally when all have switched to the new link remove the replication
group and wait for the message in the event log that replication has been
removed before deleting the old copy of the data. If you jump the gun on this
then DFSR can notice the delete and sync that delete with the new copy, poof, no
files. I always take a backup of the data before deleting the old copy, once
bitten twice shy <grin>
Post by Danny Sanders
hth
DDS
--
Dave Mills
There are 10 type of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Rich
2008-09-15 13:14:10 UTC
Since i have like 340GB of data, that would be nice to do one big copy over
the weekend when nobody is using the server, then throughout the week have it
keep updating whenever anything is changed on the current server. how do you
set it up like that?
Post by DaveMills
Post by Danny Sanders
[...]
Post by Danny Sanders
hth
DDS
Danny Sanders
2008-09-15 14:25:58 UTC
Stop the share on Friday evening, perform the robocopy over the weekend.
Restart the share Monday morning and use robocopy again using /MON or /MOT
switch.

hth
DDS
Post by Rich
Since i have like 340GB of data, that would be nice to do one big copy over
the weekend when nobody is using the server, then throughout the week have it
keep updating whenever anything is changed on the current server. how do you
set it up like that?
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:28:12 -0600, "Danny Sanders"
Post by Danny Sanders
[...]
Post by Danny Sanders
hth
DDS
Rich
Danny Sanders
2008-09-15 16:58:03 UTC
Post by Rich
Thanks. So do i only need to do the /MON once and it will just keep
constantly checking and synching the new server?
I haven't used that switch so I can't tell you what to expect. It should be
easy enough to create 2 folders, dump some word files in one and test.

hth
DDS
Post by Danny Sanders
[...]
Post by Danny Sanders
hth
DDS
don't.
DaveMills
2008-09-15 21:40:11 UTC
I agree, I cannot remember the switches I used but I tested it on a folder like
"Home Folders" but at the user level. Then I made changes a watched what
happened. It only took a few tests to see what switched worked best then I moved
up a level and did the real job. I left it running for a few days while I got up
to date.

Another nice feature of Robocopy is that if you run into errors (e.g. user has
denied Admin any access) then it pops up a error but will keep retrying (2^16
times). So you simply open a new Explorer window and fix the permissions and
Robocopy suddenly just continues
Post by Danny Sanders
[...]
Post by Danny Sanders
hth
DDS
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Mike
2008-09-30 18:55:02 UTC
Rich - I'm in the midst of doing the exact same type of project with about
340GB of data that I am moving to a clustered file server. I'm using
ROBOCOPY to make the first pass of data over and then I plan to re-run the
ROBOCOPY script daily to get any changes and then one weekend, I plan to
stop the share, run ROBOCOPY again and point the DFS Target to the new
location and disable the referral to the old server.

This is what my ROBOCOPY script looks like:

robocopy {source} {destination} /copyall /e /zb /MIR /log:share_data.log
/np /tee /r:2 /w:1 /ndl
Post by Danny Sanders
[...]
Post by Danny Sanders
hth
DDS
Kevin Winter
2010-09-06 17:20:27 UTC
I tried robocopy but somehow it stops working and fails because of a very deep folder structure. Are there any alternatives? I already downloaded the newest version available from Microsoft.

Kevin
Post by Rich
Thanks. So do i only need to do the /MON once and it will just keep
constantly checking and synching the new server?
I have not used that switch so I cannot tell you what to expect. It should be
Post by Mike
Rich - I'm in the midst of doing the exact same type of project with about
340GB of data that I am moving to a clustered file server. I'm using
ROBOCOPY to make the first pass of data over and then I plan to re-run the
ROBOCOPY script daily to get any changes and then one weekend, I plan to
stop the share, run ROBOCOPY again and point the DFS Target to the new
location and disable the referral to the old server.
robocopy {source} {destination} /copyall /e /zb /MIR /log:share_data.log
/np /tee /r:2 /w:1 /ndl
Auto-Generate Code for LINQ to SQL Repository Pattern using T4
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/a7ee34d2-c297-4ec8-a933-69254242b21b/autogenerate-code-for-linq-to-sql-repository-pattern-using-t4.aspx
Pedro Sanchez
2010-09-07 18:19:01 UTC
We had the same problem you are describing in our organisation. Finally we used a commercial product called Copyright2 from Sys-Manage. You can download a trial version here http://www.sys-manage.com/PRODUCTS/CopyRight/tabid/64/Default.aspx and see if it solves your problem too.

Regards
Pedro Sanchez

Silverlight Binary Serialization and Compression with WCF Services
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/96487d4c-d92f-4ca5-85b7-0fef6f42d6c3/silverlight-binary-serialization-and-compression-with-wcf-services.aspx